Welcome to my 2010 photo blog.

During this year I am taking up a challenge to post a photo a day on this blog. I am a beginner photographer hoping to learn much about my camera and how to take photos.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New school year - big day!


This cheerful group of learners were happy to get back to school after the long holiday. I had the privilege of being on duty in the playground before school so I was able to greet them and welcome them back for 2010.

Our school classes are "full". All classes have between 26 and 32 children which is a lot in the foundation phase. Most of the children are learning in English as a second language. These little girls and boys all speak isiXhosa at home so it's quite an adjustment to have all their lessons in English. They cope remarkably well and we're very proud of the level of literacy and numeracy by the time they leave at the end of Grade 3.

So, here's to 2010. A great year in our history as a country and hopefully a successful year for the learners.

No comments: